Tuesday, February 7, 2012

So, home is where the heart is? Now, where did I leave that damned thing...

Okay, so this morning I had one of those random "homesick" moments that like to come out of the blue at me.

And really they kinda take me aback as that having lived pretty much everywhere....


*insert "I've Been Everywhere" by Johnny Cash*

....I haven't really been anywhere long enough to call home.

The only place that I would even remotely say I have roots in is in my BEAUTIFUL Pacific Northwest city of Seattle.

But, that isn't true I found this morning.

*bum bah dummmm*

I was longing for Nova Scotia.

So, what was I doing that would have conjured images of that beautiful Maritime Retreat?

I was doing what I do quite often.....

Drinking coffee on the shore of Lake Washington watching the sun rise in it's procession across the sky. The only difference was I could hear loons out in the lake. Which here is not a very common thing even though loons are native to the area.

So, perhaps it was the calls of the loons in and of themselves, or perhaps it was the combination of the sunrise, the loons and my drinking coffee; but before I knew it, I had closed my eyes and was lost in some reverie of sitting on my back porch drinking coffee and listening to the loons call to each other on Cape Breton Island.

I mean, many places have touched me deeply in my travels. Boston, Key West, Garmisch, Kristiansund, Reykjavik, Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto, Arviat, Redwood National Forest, Acadia National Park, ect. ect. ect....

But the one place that reaches out it's hand and gives my heart a big ol' SQUEEZE is clearly Nova Scotia.

So, while I never would have admitted this, I guess I left a part of my heart there. Well, hell, let's be honest...I have left parts of my heart all over this damned planet...but I think the largest of these was left in Nova Scotia.

So yes..."Mon coeur est en Acadie!"

No comments:

Post a Comment