Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Step right up and see another marvel of the world....

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

Who would have ever thought that such a question would ever follow them into adulthood? Certainly not me.

When asked this question as a small child, I promptly and proudly proclaimed in my non-PC, unaware-of-exploitation-within-this-profession naivete; "A circus sideshow freak."

At the tender age of 5, I didn't know how offensive to many this statement would be, how unfeminine, how crass. All I know is I wanted to be someone different, that had some different trait, ability, quirk that made them desirable to the world, so much so that it would make me millions.

And in all reality, that childhood desire of becoming "A circus sideshow freak" is exactly what I became. In the circus of life, I was definitely not a mainstream attraction. I was far from a headliner. And I most definitely, in many people's eyes was a freak with a capital F.

Why? Well quite simply (and also quite complexly) because I am me.

So, how is that something that would label me a freak?

Well, it is because I refuse pre-made labels manufactured by society.

Let me give you an idea of what I mean by refusing labels.

So, I like women and am born into a body whose chromosomes are XX. That would make me lesbian right? Wrong.

So, I look like a guy but have the secondary sex characteristics of a woman, but see myself as male. That would make me a trans-masculine or transman in some state of transition right? Wrong.

So, I am not heterosexual. That would make me homosexual right? Wrong.

But, if I am not homosexual, or heterosexual, then I must be bisexual or pan-sexual right? Wrong.

So just what am I then. I am something outside the norm. I am that thing which is not mainstream, is not headline material, I am the sideshow.

At least that is what society says I am. They throw these labels on me. Queer, genderfluid, genderqueer,  androgyne, male identified lesbian, butch, asexual, boi, ze...

None of which fit, none of which are me.

And ironically, the labeling doesn't stop there. It extends to those whom I partner with.

While those beautiful feminine women I love so dearly have their own issues around invisibility; I bring something else entirely to the table.

In partnering with me, my identity or lack thereof brings the question of how that plays into THEIR identity. After all, if they are a lesbian and am with me, who identifies as male...what does that make them? Bisexual, heterosexual, pan-sexual, homo-flexible, hetero-flexible? What? After all, society HAS to know. Sometimes even these women HAVE to know.

And when I see and hear the struggles these women who share my heart, my bed, my pain have to confront; I am left wondering what the gawd-damned point of all these labels are.

Can't we just be two people who love each other? Why must something so trivial as genitalia or gender identity, sexual preference or gender presentation have anything to do with it?

We are all human. That is the ONLY label that should fit if we MUST have a label.

In this circus, there are no sideshows, there are no freaks....merely different acts...all as captivating as the others.




4 comments:

  1. if only everyone adhered to the philosophy of a very smart little girl that I know..."you should just love who you love".

    This reminds me of those demographics forms that people have to fill out for...well, everything! male or female, ethnicity, income, marital status....the list goes on and on. Why? Because putting people in these nice little categories makes things all neat and tidy. We want everything to be predictable, it makes it easier to figure out who is "in" and who is "out" in regards to our definition of acceptableness.

    When someone refuses to define oneself according to these little categories, or to slap on a pre-fab label, then it makes things messy. It forces us to get to know the PERSON instead of the label, and thus makes it harder to decide if they are an insider or an outsider. If they are part of "us" or "them".

    I too am guilty of doing this exact same thing. I label people in my mind, and they get put into these nice little boxes and categories. It's human nature, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt or that I don't get it wrong sometimes. Hell, I probably get it wrong a lot. I do try to make sure that I'm not letting the label overshadow the person, and that a person's own definition of who they are is what ultimately defines them to me.

    That said, I did have a great conversation recently with someone in regards to defining who you are (in particular, your own sexuality) in the context of who you are with. Ultimately, who you are as a person, and how you define yourself, does not change regardless of who you are with. I am still ____ even though the person I'm with may not define him/herself in the same way. That is my identity, I own it, and changing partners or relationship definitions does not change who I am. Though, I suspect that society at large still wants a nice, neat little label to slap onto me/my partner/my relationship.

    I have a lot more to say, but not on a blog comment. Interesting topic, thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you made a very valid point....and one worthy of noting. The age old "us vs. them". And I believe you are very right that the categorization and labeling that people are so fond of being a manifestation of that mentality. If they are us, they are acceptable, and if they are them, then they are not. Easier to gauge the people who could potentially harm us by using this simplistic and outdated system. I myself am guilty of resorting to the "us/them" line of thinking. I think we all do at one point in time. I know for me, when I have used it, it was out of some deeper survival instinct...which would merit a whole other conversation.

      Anyhow, indeed, we are who we are reguardless of what labels others and the world puts on us. As well as we are who we are no matter who we are with and how THEY identify. And as your little lady has stated, you SHOULD "love who you love" and not give a damn about what te world thinks. It's between you and the person you love....no one else.

      Delete
  2. my fave label is being called transphobic.

    i love being labeled transphobic.

    it's so awesome.

    the love i feel ... so compelling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am so with you...some of the labels I have had slapped on me are pretty....compelling as well. ;)

      Delete