Okay, I know for my inaugural post, I should probably do something benign and not so charged. But hey, this is MY blog, and I can write about whatever the fuck I want to.
Now, to the meat of this post:
I just read an article talking about the newest line of blocks from Lego. The "Lego Friends". And well, as I read this article, I was kinda appalled in that yet again, corporations and "mainstream" America is gender-fying things better left alone.
I mean, as I read this article, I totally agreed that there is definitely something wrong here. First off, why are the "figs" (Lego jargon for the little people in Legoland...or in this case, "Heartlake City") given breasts to designate them as female? Way to drive home misogyny at an early age. Way to drive home that it is your body people identify you by, and nothing else. Not to mention, why are there no male figs in "Heartland City"? Is this some obscure Amazonian fringe colony that doesn't allow men? How Gloria Steinem of Lego! *end sarcasm
Also, why is everything pink and purple? I know of plenty of little ladies who like blue, green, red, orange...ect.ect.ect.
And I really have an issue with the fact that the professions in this "Heartlake City" are such positions as: waitress, hair dresser, vetrinarian, and nurse. And the leisurely activity being promoted here is shopping. While those careers and activities are just fine, I ask, "Where are the lady firefighters? The female construction workers? The policewomen? The doctors?"
Again need I cry misogyny?? Women have far more interests than just staying in the kitchen, or the mall, or the beauty salon.
I also have to add, why are the models made for these "Lego Friends" dumbed down? Why is everything already made in the shapes of things, whereas the Original Legos required you to follow directions and instructions to make things such as a tree, or a car, or a roof. Are they sugguesting that girls are dumber?
WRONG ANSWER!!
Furthermore, since when did the Classic Legos become "boy toys"? I can recall many of my friends when we were kids, who were the stereotypical girls who loved their dolls, Barbies, tea parties and "pink puke" who also played with Legos as is it was no big thing.
It is my thought that TOYS ARE TOYS. They have no gender restrictions. Boys can like pink and purple and want to play with Barbie and Disney Princesses just as easily as girls can like camo and skulls on everything and want to play with lightsabers and Tonka trucks. Even in children, gender is not that clear cut.
Males can surprise us, as can females...and it is not what sex you are that makes you male or female...it is your heart and brain. It is not what toys a child has that is gonna make them male or female. That is something they decide for themselves.
*end rant (and thanks for reading)
And I bet more parents will be willing to let the girls play with "boy" Legos than will let their sons play with "girl" ones. Because, of course, a girl who likes "masculine" things is just fine (because, being masculine is the best thing to be, after all), but a boy who likes "feminine" things? Unacceptable. *sigh*
ReplyDeleteI know right? And that is such shit. Why are we stigmatizing boys into thinking that if they like things society aligns with girls that they are "fags" or worse.
ReplyDelete